Get Ready for School!
August 18, 2022
It’s time to head back to school! Here are some tips to get prepared for the school year ahead.
Before the first day:
1. Set up a reading routine: If you do not already have one, create a daily reading routine with your child.
2. Rules: Talk to your child about how rules at school and home may be different or the same. Encourage your child to listen to adults at school just as they do at home. An example: “It’s okay to run inside at home when we are playing, but at school you have to walk in your classroom even during playtime.”
3. Strengthen important social and emotional skills such as:
Knowing how to ask for help
Following two and three step directions
Taking care of personal needs independently
4. Take a tour of the new school or classroom together. If not possible, drive by the school and talk about what it will feel and look like inside.
5. Encourage your child’s curiosity about school by answering their questions or helping them find the answers.
6. Call the school and share any important info with school staff
7. Transportation: do you, your child, and your child’s teacher know the plan?
8. Label your child’s classroom materials with your child so they are familiar with the items they’ll be using at school.
The First Day of School:
1. Help your child feel safe by staying positive and confident.
2. Model patience when things don’t go as planned.
3. Help your child say goodbye and reassure them- “I will see you at the bus stop in the afternoon. Can’t wait to hear about your day!”
Throughout the Year
1. Make time with your child to process their day. Ask: “What was something fun that happened today?” and “What was one challenging part of your day?”
2. Get to know your child’s teacher and help them get to know your child.
3. Read communications sent home.